The CHIEP-2 project (Chilean Europe Platform) is a natural step forward of the first CHIEP Project funded by the European Commission’s 6th Framework Programme (FP6). CHIEP-2 is also funded by the European Commission through its Seventh Framework Programme and by the National Commission for Scientific and Technological Research of the Government of Chile (CONICYT).
The goal of the CHIEP-2 project is to maximize cooperation in Science & Technology and Innovation between the European Community and Chile, supporting the incorporation of the Chilean scientific and technological community into the Seventh Framework Programme (7PM) (2007 to 2013).
For this purpose, the CHIEP project has defined 4 work lines for the period between 2009 and 2012:
1. Information and Dissemination
• Dissemination events about cooperation opportunities provided by the FP7.
• Enhancement of the www.CHIEP.cl site to improve dissemination of research opportunities and capacities for Chilean researchers.
• Generating analytical documents about science in Chile aimed at European researchers, and dissemination documents with significant information about FP7 aimed at Chilean scientific community.
2. Strengthening Policy-Making and Articulation Capabilities
• Analyzing the current state of scientific cooperation between Chile and Europe.
• Training sessions for the Liaison Office staff on processes of cooperation with Europe.
3. Policy Dialogue
• Defining themes for collaboration.
• Conducting activities to promote policy dialogue between Chile and Europe.
• Defining 4 specific cooperation areas where actions for 2007 – 2013 will be focused.
• Carrying out 4 scientific missions in the defined areas in order to strengthen the relations between the Chilean and European scientific communities.
• Conducting thematic workshops in priority areas in order to boost opportunities for research projects to participate in FP7.
Current priority areas are: ENERGY, ENVIRONMENT (INCLUDING CLIMATE CHANGE), ICT, TRANSPORT.
The members of the Steering Committee for the CHIEP-2 project are:
• Fernanda Gandara, Advisor to the President of CONICYT
• Gudrun Kausel, Academic Representative of DFG in Chile
• Jean Francois Marini, IRD and CNRS Representative in Chile
• Claudia Geier, Representative of the European Union Delegation in Chile